BLOG 4
I know the truth, so don’t bother me with facts.
In the article “I know the truth,
so don’t bother me with facts” Jeffery Kluger explains why people insist to
believe in rumors rather than facts. The author quotes the recent studies made
by R. Kelly and Erik Nisbet based on 750 people who had the wrong conception of
the Islamic cultural center. The researchers came up with a conclusion that
even though, with all the facts that have been given to those people, they tend
to keep their prior beliefs, instead of changing their opinion. Our mind is
predisposed to bias, it resists rational explanation. If rumors reinforce our
beliefs we are happy to ignore the facts and protect our faith by subscribing
to rumors.
I agree with studies made by R. Kelly Garrett and Erik Nisbet that
even though, with all the facts and time that has been given to people, they
tend to keep their prior beliefs. We make instant judgments; most of the time
not favorable for the person being judged and we don’t like to be told that we
are wrong.
This article can be related to my personal life. One
day my friend and I decided to go shopping. We took the train to the World
Trade Center. We were talking when all of a sudden two Arabian men came in the
train. They both had on two large backpacks that were pretty full. When the
train was leaving the station they decided to put their bags on the floor next
to us. We thought that they were going to hold onto the railing, but instead
they walked to the other side of the train. We didn’t know how to react because
we had no clue what they had in those bags. I thought in my mind that they were
terrorists and that they were planning on killing everyone in that train cart.
When I searched for them, they were on the other side looking at the MTA map.
After a short period of time, they came back. My friend and I felt a little bit
ashamed because we were judging these two men based on what other people from
their race did. We didn’t know how they could react because after listening to
all the news across the world, we may judge/ react to a certain race in an
unpleasant.
I came across a situation where I believed I was
right and no one can tell me otherwise. This occurred in chemistry class when I
was given a group assignment. My friend and I sat down to do it not knowing the
whole criteria and what the professor expected us to do. We decided that we
were going to write an essay just like the rest of the people in my class. When
we handed in our assignment the professor said he couldn’t accept it because it
wasn’t written the way he wanted it to be and some things were missing. My
friend stood by my side and we both argued that he didn’t explain his
expectations to us and we could of wrote about anything as long as we
understood the topic. Just because he gave us a format didn’t mean that we had
to go along with it. We could have done it a different way and so we did. By
doing this the professor decided not to accept our paper and gave us a failing
grade. Us arguing with him didn’t help us in this situation because the teacher
is always right no matter what. By the professor telling me that I was wrong I
was really mad. I believe that I am always right; by him telling me I am wrong
I stay strong to my word and will argue to get my point across.
Rumors can be very powerful and dangerous tools. We should not judge a person based on rumors
that are spread in society and expressed in media. By going along with these
rumors we could hurt someone in many different ways. Instead of relying on
rumors we should be familiar with the facts and based on that make up our own
opinion. As a result, we should not stick to our own beliefs only be open
minded in situations.
You are getting the idea!! Nicely developed... :-)
ReplyDelete