In the article “The Dangers of
Reality TV” Timothy Sexton states that “image over ability” is expressed in
media. Appearance is the first thing people look at before looking at your
skills. People get judged based on looks instead of their ability to complete a
task. Many believe that by changing the
way you look can lead them to becoming successful later on in life. In these
reality shows anyone can achieve the American Dream without an education. This
is where “image over ability” comes in.
I agree with Timothy Sexton that for many people looks is what
they mainly depend on. In our generations visiting doctors to get special
treatments is becoming more normal instead of taboo. Managers look for workers
that can help them get more customers instead of looking for someone that can
quickly get the job done.
While working in my grandma’s
restaurant I realized that she is “image over ability”. She would rather choose
a more elegant looking female than one that is hardworking. My grandma believes
that by having an attractive waitress more people would start coming to the
restaurant. There was once a girl that didn’t have such good looks but was a
hardworking, always on time and completed her job correctly, but my grandma
didn’t like the way she looked. Instead, she picked a female that was more
appealing but was lazy when it came to working. Many managers do this because
they believe that attractive workers bring positive impacts to their business.
Another incident that made me
believe “image over ability” will get me far in life is visiting my doctor. I
came to get my shots since I wasn’t up to date and came out thinking I should
care more about my looks instead of my ability to complete a specific task. My
doctor suggested that I should get botox and other procedures. When I asked him
why, he told me that it’s one step closer to becoming fortunate. This is
because in my generation education plays a less important role than looks in an
individual’s life. He told me many people rely on their looks to be acknowledged
by others.
“Image over ability” can be related
to “never judge a book by its cover”. Many people will pick up a book with an
interesting cover instead of a best selling book. In comparison, many will
choose a more appealing person than a less provocative individual. By watching
reality television shows many people believe that the importance of having an
education and behavior doesn’t count. It is sad, but in many cases this can
relate to everyone’s life in one way or another.
I like that you tried to tie back to the reading...keep working on it.
ReplyDelete