“The Story of Bottled Water”
It all started a few years ago when one of the French companies came up with a brilliant idea to convince people that it is cool to buy bottle water. How do they convince people to pay for something that they have at home for free? Simply by saying that bottled water is safer, healthier and it tastes better. When we are watching all the advertisements on TV with all those beautiful mountain views where the water is crystal clear and then you compare it to your tap water the result is obvious. Your tap water is dirty, has a lot of bacteria and it tastes filthy. There are many myths about bottled water and one of them is that “bottled water tastes better than tap water.”
Most people state that they actually know the taste of their favorite brand and with closed eyes they can tell the difference between bottled and tap water. Researches wanted to know if this is true, so they took a few well-known brands and tap water, sent them to the laboratory and found out that there is no difference between the two. After that, they gave the water out to people to try. Not that they couldn’t tell the difference between them, the tap water was rated higher.
They say that good advertisements can sell almost everything and it is true because we pay for water even though that we don’t have to. Sometimes people waste big amounts of money just to buy a special kind of water. Last year I went to Florida to visit my friend over the summer. She decided to take me to the beach. I was in a hurry and I forgot to buy something to drink so, I filled an empty bottled with tap water. When my friend saw that she poured it out into the sink. I asked her why she did that and she replied that it carries bacteria and I can get sick. She gave me her Fiji water and said that it’s healthier and it’s the only water that she drinks. When I told her that there is no difference between them she started to argue.
Most people think like my friend and it’s really hard to change their minds. We prefer to spend our money on water even though the water that comes from our sink is even better than the bottle one. What we can do to change this is to stop paying for bottled water, buy the aluminum bottle and refill it. This way we can save big amounts of money and the environment will be much cleaner. If someone were so skeptic about the tap water I would recommend them to watch the 20/20 report to see where their bottled water really comes from.
Good, solid solutions to a "problem" created by the water bottle companies. :-)
ReplyDelete